Borana staff get some serious first aid training in Laikipia
Last week Flick, Jaros (a guide at Borana lodge), Nicholas (one of the horse riding guides) and Nicky Dyer went on a first aid course at Sosian Lodge.
Rupert from ExMed in the UK had a group of twelve safari guides to teach about First Aid.
Nicky said that although she has coped with several accidents during many years on Borana she thought that she knew enough, but in fact the knowledge they were taught to give accident victims the best opportunity to survive until medical help, helicopters, Africa Air Rescue or whoever appear on the scene was enormous.
Rupert taught them CPR on dummies and how to use a portable defibrillator, which was kindly given to Borana. They were also taught to bandage and tourniquet and insert airways, deal with choking, bleeding, burns and broken limbs.
They are all very much equipped and confident on how to assist with an accident should one ever take place.
Flick strapped to back and neck immobiliser to be moved
Johnnie with airway and arm strapped to side due to flail chest
Josh in situ strapped onto stretcher
Nicholas bandaging Jaros's fingers
Preparing to move Josh Perrett onto the stretcher
The car crash practice